Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 57: Green Day

This morning I was driving the long stretch of gross highway on my way to work and aimlessly flipping through the radio when I stumbled upon a Green Day song from many many moons ago.

I am not a Green Day fan.

But I once was.  So in honor of my 17 year old self I cranked of the radio and smiled warmly at how everything about this scene completely mirrored my morning drive to high school over 17 years ago.
  • The long stretch of highway.
  • The early morning winter sun.
  • Me a bit bleery eyed.
  • Grunge radio blaring out at me.
The only thing missing was a black Corsica with my little brother in the passenger seat.

Which made me think of high school.  Unlike about 80% of the population I wasn't completely miserable in high school all of the time.
But I'm really glad it's over.

Today I'm thankful that I get to be an adult.

Life is so much better when you grow up to realize that those things that left you insecure and restless don't really matter.  Learning to be my own person was worth the wait.  Experiencing life beyond high school is such a beautiful privilege and if I could give today's students one gift, it would be the premonition to see that.

Circa 1995
And the good fortune to know that someday they'll have their own family, and they don't have to make them wear matching polo shirts if they don't want to.  

0 comments: