Monday, February 17, 2014

Day 48: Snow

Liam and me digging a maze in our front yard.
Last night when I heard rumor of a snow storm coming today I felt a little giddy.

I'm totally aware that this is not popular, but I am seriously loving this snow.
Even after rushing to work this morning so that I could transfer a cart of artwork from one building to another before the snow hit, only to have to navigate said cart through swirling crazy blizzard-like air - sacrificing my own warm down coat to cover precious artwork - even after that I still love it.
Even after being kicked off campus after only being there for two hours when I really needed 10 to get everything done today, AND having my class canceled for the third time this semester, ruining most of my lesson plans - even then I love it.
And even when I have to chisel the sheet of ice from my windows and drive 35 mph on the highway all of the way home - even then I love the snow.

These are words I never thought I'd hear come out of my mouth.  I've spent a lifetime loathing the snow - every year giving it the official unvitation as soon as January hit.  I've wasted a lot of nasty and hateful words in my past - directed at the snow and all of the turmoil it brought to my life.

And this is honestly the most snow I ever remember seeing in my entire 34 years of living on planet earth.  It's almost laughable.  Just when it starts to get dirty and drippy, a new blanket of the fluff descends upon us, freshening the clean white palette.  I mean, can any of you actually believe how much snow is out there right now?  I'm pretending I live in a fabulous Scandinavian country...

I'm giddy just picturing it.

I'm honestly not sure what has changed.
I think it's a mixture of how pretty it is to look at from my warm house, or that my boys are now old enough to play in it, or how the blanket of white softens all sound so you suddenly feel secluded yet cocooned at the same time.

Today I am thankful for the snow.

I know it's not the popular opinion....

But haters gonna hate.

0 comments: