Sunday, June 13, 2010

"She's a Brick - House....she's mighty mighty...."

In college I lived in a house the was nicknamed "Brickhouse" because, well, it was a brick house.  (Our liberal-arts education obviously enforced some real creative thought.)  In that house I lived with four other women.  We have been known as "Brickhouse" ever since.
Today I just got back from an extended weekend getaway with my college girlfriends.  Every year we have religiously taken a trip together in the summer.  Because of the direction our lives have taken, it has been a long time since we have taken a longer trip to somewhere with warm beaches that is a little bit closer to the equator. Instead, we've spent the last few summers in the midwest looking for beaches where we can get them.  
We had a great time sitting around in the sun giggling about the old days, analyzing our present day, and dreaming about future days.  Not only do I feel relaxed (there was even one day we managed to sleep in until 10:30....10:30 (that's like noon in my world.)), but I also have a killer tan and a new appreciation for my stay-at-home-over-the-summer status. 

Why do I love my girlfriends so much?  First, they make me laugh.  I don't care what the conversation is about....we're almost always laughing - or at least I am.  Second of all, we each have our quirky rolls.  No matter how much we grow up we each have our niche, and I love that about us.  And lastly, they're my girls.  We've laughed together (of course), but we've also lost together, and cried together.  We lived together in the same house when 9-11 happened.  They were there when I started dating my husband, and stood up for me when I married him.  They are made up of mothers, teachers, artists, professionals, gardeners, and killer shoppers. 
Sure, things are different.  Instead of oiling up with SPF 4, we are wearing 30.  Instead of dreading getting our i.d.'s checked, we cheer when someone asks (which seems to happen less and less these days).  When we watch movies half of us are knitting while the other half of us are comparing wrinkles and sunspots.  Instead of our teeny bikinis and short shorts, we arrive at the pool in big sunglasses, sunhats, and more forgiving swimsuits. 
What hasn't changed?  The laughter and the trust.  The stories we have to bring up everytime we're together.  My inevitable stomach-ache and tears from laughing too hard.  The shoulders to lean on, and the hugs to share.
I love my Brickhouse girls.  They complete me. :)

2 comments:

Kara said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love this post. My best girlfriends are from college too. There's nothing like getting together with friends that know you inside and out! Looks like you all had a great time!

Audieb said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Yeah!! It was so good to catch up with you again, Tiffy but it made me realize how much I miss you!!! I like this pic too... will you send me your pictures? Love you :)