Monday, March 26, 2012

Marathon Man

On Saturday Dustin ran a Half Marathon.  You know those things that most normal people spend months training for?  This is how it went down.

Wednesday
Dustin: Someone needs a ride to the Half Marathon in Larne (one hour away).  Should I just run it while I'm there?
Me: (Not really listening) Sure.
Dustin: (Laughing) Are you serious? That would be crazy.  Do you think I could do it?
Me: (Still not really listening) Yes.
Dustin: Okay.  I'm going to do it.

Thursday
Dustin: Will you come support me while I run the half marathon on Saturday?
Me: The what?!
Dustin: The half marathon you encouraged me to sign up for.
Me: How fast do you think you can run it?
Dustin: Well, it would be at least a few hours.
Me: No.

Friday
Me: Have you trained for this half marathon yet?
Dustin: I figured the best training is to do no training at all.
Me: Did you at least carbo-load tonight?
Dustin:  I ate some rice at dinner.

Saturday
Me: Are you nervous?
Dustin: About what?  I don't really care if I get a good time.
Me: No, about finishing.  What's the furthest you've ever run? 
Dustin: 6 miles, and that was uphill pushing a stroller with two boys in it.
Me : (To Miles and Liam after my eye roll) Hey, did you know that today Daddy is running a big race?
Miles:  Like Rory the Racing Car?
Dustin:  (In the background) Let's not call it a race.
Me: No, he'll actually be running....we hope.
Miles: Like Little Einsteins?
Me: I think you may watch too much t.v.

So then Saturday morning we saw him off to his "not a big race" praying that the younger guys would take it easy on him.  Then Saturday afternoon he came back all in one piece and actually able to smile.   There has been a bit of limping around here since, but I'm actually really impressed with how he did (just a smidgen over 2 hours).  I would document here that Dustin has vowed to never do a half marathon again.  This is good, because I think it stressed me out more than him.


2 comments:

everythingismeowsome said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That is hysterical! And crazy (on Dustin's part!!). Glad to hear he survived!

Jill said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Crazy that he was able to pull it off! This post had me laughing out loud, by the way.