Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mantra

In an attempt to heighten my spiritual awareness, I'm reading a book right now about changing how I live my life. The chapter I read yesterday mentioned something to the effect that one does not need to pray long, drawn-out prayers throughout the day to be in a state of worship....that prayers can be short little phrases that are uttered throughout the day.  This constant dialogue is meant to sort of move God from just your "in case of emergency" contacts, and into #1 of your speed dial.  (That right there my friends is my clever analogy, in case you wanted to borrow it for any of your God-related analogy needs - you don't even have to ask permission.)  The book gave a list of all sorts of example phrases you could use.
But I've found my own go-to phrase. 
All day I've found myself saying it over and over again.  It's pretty simple really.... "Thank you."
Today when Dustin landed in Chicago safely and was on his way home.
Thank you.
When I woke up to a slumbering little boy that had tiptoed into my bed in the middle of the night.
Thank you.
That time when Miles and Liam were mimicking each other and laughing hysterically at dinner.
Thank you.
As Miles stood in front of the church today with other 2 yr olds, dancing like nobody was watching. (Which it should be noted here that he was not actually supposed to be dancing.)
Thank you.
When Liam shot me the most amazing smile when I walked into the nursery.
Thank you.
When I got to work outside in my yard.
Thank you.
When Dustin walked into our house after being out of state for days.
Thank you.
As I sat down to start Miles' Lifebook and reread all about his birthday.
Thank you.
Giving bedtime baths, jumping on bedtime beds, reading bedtime stories, and singing bedtime songs.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Enjoying my bedtime bowl of ice cream with M&Ms in a sleepy, silent house...
Thank you.

1 comments:

everythingismeowsome said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

so true. It is all about a constant dialogue. And "thank you" is so very fitting.