Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 71:Stupid


Since starting kindergarten my son has added the word "stupid" to his vocabulary.
And boy, does he know how to use it - hurled with venom and spit aimed directly at one's face. 

Someday I hope he reads that and is sorry.  For now I'll love him anyways.

I've spent a good portion of this year cursing whatever child taught him this word.  However, The Good Lord knows that I certainly can't be hurling any stones since I've seen first hand the things my son has taught his previously well-behaved classmates.

Things he certainly didn't learn from me.

So today when I was waiting to pull out of our snow-covered road onto our traffic-heavy highway I heard myself say, "These stupid cars won't stop coming." and knew instantly I had made a tragic mistake.  The rest of the ride to my in-laws house consisted of my two older sons repeating my phrase "stupid cars" over and over again, and giggling in between the question "why did you say 'stupid cars' mom?" asked over and over again until I ran out of ways to answer.

A rookie mistake.

It's a good thing they were with me on a good day.

Today I am thankful that this is currently, at this exact moment, the biggest of my worries.  

There is a lot going on in the world.  There is a lot of corruption happening with our children.  There are scary things we face every day.  This, I can handle.

And I am also thankful for the reminder that they are always listening.  It could have been much much worse.  And, although humbling, was an easy way for me to learn this very important lesson.

0 comments: