Thursday, July 14, 2011

In the thick of it.

I'm officially in the thick of it.  I'm not talking about moving, or packing, or even summer vacation.  I'm talking about something way more serious.....

Dun dun dun....
The terrible threes. 
Whoever called them the terrible twos spoke too soon.  They mistakenly make you think that the worst of it happens from months 24-36.  Those dummies. I hate them....okay, strongly dislike them (hate fuels wars, remember.).
I thought for sure we were on the tail end of it.  Who knew it would get worse?

I feel like a soldier in the bunker some days....waiting for the next attack. 
I swear I have a sweet child.  You all should meet him from 6-7 a.m.  or 7-8 a.m.  SO sweet.  So thoughtful.  So cuddly. So gentle.  So many wonderful things.
It's from 7am-7pm that's the problem. 

What I'm starting to realize is that Miles probably mourned the loss of his foster mom much longer than I realized.  We thought he was just a serious baby.  By the time his funny, charming, and energy-filled side really came out he had a little brother and was quickly approaching the "terrible twos" - (stupid misleading phrase).  I feel like I have yet to really know the person he is going to grow into.  I'm hoping his real personality is hidden away within the tantrums and hitting.  Because I can see glimpses of it you guys.

And I've started to pray.  I pray for patience and I pray that Liam will survive (just kidding - Liam's fine).  But most of all I pray that my child's morning and evening personality - the one I like to call his "pajama" personality (it's like he's superman and has a costume that changes who he is and what he can do) will be the personality that he grows to embrace.  His real personality.  From the hours of 7am-7pm I often feel like I'm working so hard to bring that personality back out.

I've read that this is a phase.  People have told me that it is a phase.  God, PLEASE let it be a phase.

1 comments:

Katie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

We are right there with you.....such a sweet boy but then something changes and he is no longer recognizable. We are managing through the raging tantrums accompanied by hitting and kicking....quite a treat. "They" say it is totally normal, so I believe we will all make it through in one piece.....with more gray hair then when we started, but in one piece for sure.