Thursday, September 9, 2010

We are artsy, hear us roar...

Everyday I come home from work, we eat dinner insanely early, and then I find myself counting down the minutes until my kids go to bed.  It's weird because I don't do that during the day when I'm home with them all day.  It's just this weird block of time where I don't want to get them wound up, I don't want to risk them falling asleep in a stroller, and I definitely don't feel like leaving the house. 

On a seemingly unrelated topic I am an art teacher.  I used to spend my days teaching 2 year olds about art. 

The connection?  My new idea is to have a daily "art time" with my boys. (I am ashamed to admit how sparingly I actually put a crayon in my son's hand.)  My goal?  To do an art project every evening with them between dinnertime and bathtime.  (By "them" I mean Miles, and Liam can make snacking on Cheerios artistic if he wants.)  My motivation? Well, exposure to art for one.....but if I'm being quite honest, it also has a little bit to do with the cup of tea I plan on enjoying while I'm sitting at the table with them.  Do I think it will be a success?  Well, it probably depends on your definition of success.  As for mine, one night down.



Lately, Miles has been getting really close to paper whenever he draws or paints.  It give you the impression that he is really concentrating, and it totally cracks me up.


Liam showing off his mad origami skills.  What a show-off.

3 comments:

sue said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i cracked up over the photo of Liam, and i love how serious Miles is. so cute! i need to do more art projects with C, too. thanks for the inspiration!

Elizabeth Frick said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like this idea - a win-win for everyone! You get tea, and the boys get art :)

Kristen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

That time between dinner and bed is always tricky - pick the wrong activity and you end up w/crazy kids jumping on their beds instead of sleeping in them.

You'll have to share your projects w/us...our art time usually ends when Aidan starts eating crayons/paint/paper.