Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sick Day/Snow Day

I haven't left my house since Sunday afternoon...which two years ago would have driven me insane.  Right now, it's pretty fantastic. The boy tribe has been in a surprisingly good mood, and I've even gotten some work done for my National Boards.  A year ago yesterday I was returning to work after my second maternity leave in a year and practically ran into the building shouting "I'm here - take me in!".  I think you should be allowed to save up part of your maternity leave for when your kiddos are a lot more fun to be around - like when they play together, giggling ferociously at each other's shenanigans and dancing around the house to Jack Johnson's Curious George soundtrack.  AND when you are allowed to drink all of the coffee you want and can stay up late watching movies with your husband because you know that everyone is going to sleep soundly through the night.
That's just me though.

Yesterday I was home because Liam was "sick".  I say that because although he threw up all night and acted a little tired in the morning, you would never have been able to tell that anything was wrong with the guy.  He is such a crack-up.
Since I am a HUGE snow wimp - like I seriously hate the stuff, I decided to just bring it inside for Miles and Liam to play with so I wouldn't have to brave the frigid stuff.
Then I taught them how to make snowballs that they could eat.  I know that this is going to make a third of your cringe, but a world where my kids can not eat snow is a world I don't want to be a part of. :)  (Actually, it didn't even occur to me that this could be potentially gross until after I had shown them how delicious it was.)




Today I got a little braver and bundled Miles up to go outside.  I made up a spray bottle of blue water for him to "paint" the snow with, which he loved until he decided to "paint" Cooper the dog instead.  Cooper thought that was a terrible idea.
After that I made him a sweet cup of hot chocolate to enjoy (because if I remember correctly that was the best thing about snow days when I was growing up), but he took on swallow of marshmallows and decided that he didn't really want it.  Lame.




Then for the rest of the morning the boys played on the landing.  Don't ask me why.  They love it there.  It's cold and hard and loud and probably dirty, but it is their favorite place in the house right now.  I can't get them out of the joint.

What else is on the agenda for today - our first official "snow day" - as issued by my school district?  Well, since there actually isn't any snow yet I might send Miles back outside to burn off some energy, or work on some special Valentines for our friends and family.  OR we might just cuddle up and watch some Cars...they day is ours to burn. :)

0 comments: