Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Formal Apology

Dear Mothers of Toddlers that Came Before Me:

I would like to take this moment to formally apologize to all of the mothers of 2.5 year olds from my previous life as a know-it-all-childless-twenty-something.
I'm sorry.
I'm sorry because I'm sure at some point I thought that your tantrum-throwing two to three year old was somehow a result of your lax in parenting.
I'm sorry that I might have assumed that you didn't discipline him or her when they threw an identical fit at home.  I'm sorry that I assumed you must give in to their tantrums and that is why they throw them. 
I'm sorry that I assumed these things didn't horrify you 10 million times more than they maybe slightly bothered me - an innocent bystander.
I'm sorry for any ounce of judgment I may have placed on your parenting.
I super duper sorry if at any point I thought to offer some sort of advice. (Man, I really hope that didn't happen.)
I'm sorry for any doubt that formulated in my mind when you explained that "every child is different."
I'm sorry if for one second it felt like I actually thought I had a clue.
And last but not least, I'm sorry that I might have silently gasped in horror as your child ripped off his shoes and socks in the waiting area of speech therapy and threw them across room during a tantrum of unexplainable proportions while you were trying to get copies from the therapist.  
But most of all?  I'm sorry that I now know how you feel.

My deepest regards,
Your soul sista' and fellow parent of the terrible nearly threes

4 comments:

everythingismeowsome said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

welcome to the club. I wish all of that didn't sound so familiar.

JoJo said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'll sign my name to that apology too.

Jill (the blogger) said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I always say God gave me Cade to humble me as a parent. I used to know everything there was to know about parenting...before I had him. Hang in there! It will get better!!!

Celeste and Tom said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I know the feeling but am warning you we are experiencing some of those behaviors still at 3, especially in church...