Sunday, March 27, 2011

Badly Dressed Art Teachers of the World - UNITE!

Last weekend I didn't just travel to Seattle to hunt down attractive vampire families, or drink unreasonable amounts of delicious coffee...I actually had a purpose.  Are you ready for this?  It was the National Art Education Association national convention.  The only place you'd find an obscene number of decorative eyeglass chains, frizzy hair, adults singing aloud in the corridor while wearing an umbrella on their head, scarves on nearly every neck, and of course tons of inspiration for this eager little art teacher.
To the average person this may seem like a pretty lame excuse to leave it all behind in the exotic midwest to travel across the country, but these things make me a better teacher, which makes me a happier person.  Not to mention all of the free contraband art supplies I had to shove in my suitcase for the trip home. 
I also had the opportunity to present, which is how I was able to go in the first place.  See me with my cute little giant poster?

I'm glad I went and I'm glad to be home.  I can't wait to actually look back through my notes and remember all of the amazing things I learned.  But most importantly I can't wait to try every one of the umpteen different kinds of roasted coffee beans I brought home shoved between the free clay samples and tubes of acrylic paint.

0 comments: